Before placing your home on the market, it is wise to make some upgrades to the outside of your home. Curb appeal is often an important factor in getting people to look at your home. Even if the inside of your home is in immaculate condition, if your yard has overgrown trees and bushes, flower beds full of weeds, rusting door handles, and filthy gutters, chances are potential buyers will pass on your home based on the exterior.
In order to entice people to view your home, it is imperative that sellers make sure their home’s curb appeal is up to par. Having an attractive landscape and home exterior can actually help you sell your home faster. Here are a few tips we have put together, in collaboration with an article from MSN Real Estate, that will help increase your homes curb appeal, without breaking the bank.
1. Landscaping : You can either hire a professional or do it yourself, but making sure your lawn is cut, trees and bushes are trimmed can go a long way in helping increase your home’s outward appearance. You will also want to clean out your flowerbeds of weeds. Since you are moving, it’s not necessary to plant flowers, but it’s smart to make sure the beds look neat; adding mulch is a great way to add some pizzazz, without planting flowers.
2. Plants: While planting flowers in the garden is not necessary, add some plants in containers to your porch and front steps. Hanging baskets also work well on hangers on the lawn or near the door. You will also be able to bring the plants with you to your new home!
3. Clean out the Gutters: Take a look at your gutters and clean them if needed. Messy gutters can definitely deter potential buyers from looking at your house.
4. Power Wash: After the winter, homes tend to look grimy, so get out the power washer and spray down the exterior of your home, including the windows and porch.
5. Paint: A quick, easy and relatively inexpensive way to add to your home’s curb appeal is by painting your front door. A fresh coat of paint, along with new hardware for the door and even the house number goes a long way.
While these are just a few ways to help increase your home’s curb appeal to sell it faster, the work has just begun. Once you spruce up the exterior of your home, it is also extremely beneficial to take the “sprucing up” to the interior of your home…more on that in the next post!
Post by Sandy Phillips of Phillips Real Estate
Photo Courtesy of Exterior Encounters